Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 17:29:58 EDT

    Michael,

    I'm not concerned with winning an argument with you about the value or not
    of the numerics. We're obviously going to disagree on this and I respect
    your opinions even if I don't happen to agree with them. I guess when we
    meet our Maker we'll know which of us was right & I'm content to leave it at
    that.

    But what I do object to very strongly is your persistent use of ridicule and
    to make your point; making funny parodies of Hopkins might get a laugh from
    people who agree with your point, but to those of us, like me, who don't
    agree, it does nothing at all to further it.

    Furthermore, expressions like "Pfaffing about" similarly add nothing. It
    reminds me of the story of the Vicar whose sermon text bore the margin note
    "AWSL". When asked what this meant, he said "Argument Weak; Shout Louder".
    If you have a valid point to make, you will do better to express it
    courteously.

    I couldn't agree more with you that we need more basic bible teaching,
    especially about the Cross and the basic message of the Gospel. But we also
    as Christians ought to show more love for each other because that is what
    Christ told us to do in John 13:34-35 (and no, I haven't worked out any
    numerical formula on that verse :-)

    I don't object to your use of the word "specious" (which, If I recall I
    didn't find necessary to qualify with the immoderate word "totally"); it has
    a precise meaning; impressive sounding but misleading. That is precisely
    how I found your arguments about Behe & I still do. Initially on reading
    your article I thought you had a valid theological point. But on further
    thought I found it to be a non sequitur. But I can't see how to put my
    reasons for saying this any more clearly than I have already, so I won't try
    and persuade you any further. We should be concerned with winning people
    for Christ, not with winning arguments.

    Concerning the fact that the maths is beyond most people. (Actually I
    disagree; it really isn't obscure at all to me & as I've indicated this kind
    of numerical geometry is taught to schoolchildren). However, just suppose
    it is hard to understand; so hard that indeed you had to have degree level
    maths to follow it. You make much of the fact that you have a Theology
    degree and taught it to MA level. I'm quite sure that many of the textbooks
    at this level would be quite beyond my limited intellect to understand (I'm
    just a dumb Computer Science PhD), and would have me running for the
    dictionary at every other word. I am a Bear of Very Little Brain and Long
    Words Bother Me. But that doesn't mean that I reject the validity of
    studying theology.

    BTW, where do you get the idea that Ivor Grattann-Guinness is related to Os
    Guinness? Or if that is some reference to an Os Guinness argument you'll
    have to enlighten me; I've no idea what this means.

    One final point. Despite what I've said, I actually like a lot of what you
    say on the list, and respect your opinion, when you're not resorting to
    sarcasm and ridicule. Please try and show some respect for mine. The path
    of exploration I have taken is one that I'm trying to follow with as much
    objectivity and honesty as I can, utilising the knowledge I've gleaned from
    my own academic studies.

    In Christ,
    Iain.