Re: Numbers

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 13:13:50 EST

    >No one has as yet answered my point that the only scientific explanation that has been postulated for the formation of order out of chaos is an evolutionary process, and that in order for this to work, each change must yield selective advantage. But spelling changes don't change the meaning, and whether or not it adds up to a multiple of a significant number clearly also doesn't add any selective advantage in the process of evolution of a language.<

    However, numeric patterns in particular texts might result from selective pressures on the part of the editors. The choice of a particular spelling or wording among existing variants or synonyms could be directed by an effort to create a work that is interesting mathematically as well as textually. An analogy might be the versification of Biblical passages into hymns. A pattern is generated to suit the needs and interests of the later writer without doing violence to the intent of the text.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics