Re: Proper Biblical frame of reference

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 00:46:47 EST

    Rich wrote:

    >Israelites do not embrace farming. They are strictly pastoralists..

    I think what you say was strictly true only of the patriarchs. As early as Num. 11:5 we see the Israelites complaining about their lack of "cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic." This suggests they learned farming in Egypt. That would make sense, because the Egyptians were noted for their agriculture, and the Israelites probably lived on fertile farmland in Egypt.

    Song of Songs makes many references to gardens and fruit trees. The prophets make numerous references to vineyards, fruit trees and other agriculture. A few among many: Isaiah 5, 17:4ff, 18:4ff. Jesus also made many references to agriculture.

    Don