Re: BIBLE/ORIGINS: seeking feedback

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 04:10:54 EST

     Robert Schneider wrote:

    >But it may be that the goal I've just stated is unattainable and that I will have to learn to live with my dissatisfaction, that theology, and the faithful, will need to live with a great degree of agnosticism about divine action, and accept that whatever divine action is, is a mystery ultimately beyond our comprehension.

    Amen. I don't have the foggiest notion of how God works in detail, but I firmly believe he does so work. And judging from Jesus' sayings, I strongly suspect he'd have deftly discouraged anyone from even trying to probe the matter. Jesus was always much more concerned about individuals' spiritual health than about answers to abstract questions. Our problem today is that, because of certain scientific discoveries, the abstract questions sometimes impinge on our spiritual health. It's enough for me at the moment just to say that I mystically comprehend that God is involved in the operation of the world. The Bible also, if you can believe it, certainly supports this view big time.

    >Yet in the dialogue with science, I believe that theology will be challenged to be more than vague about its understanding of the relationship between God and the world. How it answers such a challenge may be as important as how it articulates its insights about divine action.

    My new paradigm speaks to this issue, but still not in detail. (And it remains to be seen whether believing Christians, much less atheistic scientists, will be able to swallow it.)

    More on the haphazardness conundrum:

    Almost midway through my Thursday 10-mile hike in the park, as I was drinking in the lush springtime greenery under crystal blue skies, it dawned on me that the haphazardness conundrum has much in common with the old problem of evil. Both problems fit under the heading of "Why doesn't God behave more like what we expect from our cartoon depictions of him?" So even though we may not have a ready answer for the haphazardness conundrum, we never really had a good one for the problem of evil, either. So I guess this means people can live OK with unresolved problems.

    Don