RE: Noah not in the Black Sea

From: John Burgeson (
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 13:00:52 EST

    Glenn wrote: "The slope of the Black Sea bed is such that 400 feet in a year
    means that people have to move about 3 houses down the block each day for a
    year. That is hardly the stuff of legend."

    Unless, of course, the move is not "3 houses per day for a year" but more
    like "1000 houses a day for a day." There is no need for the innundation to
    have taken place gradually at all points.

    Black & Pittman, of course, claim that it IS the stuff of legend for they do
    not assume the biblical accounts to be any more than that.

    It is a most interesting concept to discuss. I was impressed recently by
    Dick Fischer's listing of parallel accounts betwwen Genesis and other
    non-biblical sources. I continue to be uninterested theologically whether
    the Noah flood ever happened but as a scientific possibility it does have
    some intellectual appeal. Dick's list makes me take its possibility more
    seriously than before. So did the Black & Pittman book. Your arguments
    against it are good -- bit they do not represent "smoking guns."

    Hope Santa can find you way over there on the other side of the world.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)