Re: Celebrating Creation.II

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 11:28:18 EST

    To support Michael's statement, I recommend that Ian read an article
    familiar to many of us on this list: "Radioactive Dating: A Christian
    Perspective," by Dr. Roger Wiens, recently revised, which provides a
    thorough review of the forty some radioactive dating techniques, which, as
    Wiens points out, pretty much agree with one another. The article can be
    accessed directly from the home page of the ASA (www.asa3.org) or from
    www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html.

    Dates for the age of the earth are so well established by these well-tested
    techniques that it would take an enormous amount of contrary evidence to
    even raise questions about the 4.5/4.6 byr dates. I have yet to see any
    evidence put forth by the YEC group that would do so in the scientific
    community. Gentry's halides research has not been duplicated, and even if
    it were solidly established, it is but one anomaly; as Aristotle said, "One
    swallow doesn't make a summer."

    As for the age of the universe, estimates depend to some extent on what
    figure for the Hubble constant one comes up with and there has been some
    disagreement over that. But there is no disagreement about the constancy of
    the speed of light in the scientific community, and any assertions to the
    contrary that I have read are ad hoc hypotheses unsupported by any valid
    scientific evidence. I guess one could say that the 12 byr. figure recently
    put forth is "revised downward" from the 15 byr. commonly used as an
    estimate of the age of the universe, but that was done, I recall, on the
    basis of a new calculation of the Hubble constant.

         I hesitated to write this note, as my meditations on creation are not
    being posted for purposes of discussion, though I do not object to anyone
    raising questions or making comments. I do thank those who have been
    complimentary.

    Bob Schneider