RE: Traditional Xtianity teaches

From: John Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 12:23:33 EDT

    David Campbell posted, in part:

    "I am rather doubtful of the assessment of several of these
    individuals as likely to agree with the whole list, especially with
    regard to the political issues. E.g., I do not think Franklin
    Graham's Samaritain's Purse promotes the view that the needy do not
    deserve help. This excessively broad brush does more to stereotype
    than to characterize."

    I'm not familiar with the "Samaritan Purse" of Graham, and I have to agree I
    painted "with a broad bursh," which is arguably not fair to do. Perhaps I am
    over-influenced by Ruth Brown's book FOR A CHRISTIAN AMERICA. Because that
    book caught my interest in the subject, I am currently studying the other
    three books I previously cited. I have been wrong before... .

    There is an interesing comment in this month's ACTS AND FACTS by John D.
    Morris. His article, page 4, entitled "Using God's Word in Creation and
    Politics" includes this statement towards the end: "All-in-all, I'm a
    political conservative because I'm a Biblical conservative." To be fair,
    John has "some" good words to say about liberals in the article -- anyone
    interested in the full text can probably find it on the ICR web site.

    David continues: "Part of the overall problem here comes from the fact that
    the extreme fringes are the noisiest and most popular for media coverage."

    A very good point -- one that Brown discusses in her book. The other three
    books will, I hope, allow me to allow better for this tendency.

    "Thus, while Burgy doubtless does know many people from a liberal
    perspective who are sincerely committed to free speech, not
    suppressing free speech is not a very visible activity."

    Too many "nots" in there for me to understand. Sorry.

    "On the other hand, those who claim to support free speech while actively
    opposing freedom of religious expression in public places, disrupting
    conservative speakers, suppressing antiabortion information, or otherwise
    rejecting the right of someone to disagree with their views are not only
    hypocrites but very publicly so."

    I am in total agreement. Such activities are "performative contradictions,"
    to use a term I picked up from David Griffin.

    "Shouting gets more publicity than thinking."

    Unfortunately, this is always the case. Good news does not sell newspapers
    (unless it is the culmination of previous bad news, of course).

    Thanks David.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband. Join now!