Re: Thorough Humiliation of Bible "scholars"

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 12:40:42 EDT

    Rather than exactly agreeing with Jim (see below) I would like to say, that
    the OT was written on the basis what the OT philosophy of life was, in
    order that believers at that time could understand what the Lord did and
    wanted.
    The OT is translated into English by scholars who live in modern times and
    look at the world the way they learned at school. Consequently words like
    "nephesh" are sometimes translated as "living being" (Gen.1), sometimes as
    "soul" (Gen.2, not in every translation, again depending on the philosophy
    of life of the translator.) "ruach" is sometimes translated as "wind"
    (Gen.) sometimes as "heart" in Proverbs. Etc. Is the modern translation
    always right, if it depends on a philosophy which we (at least partially)
    inherited from pagan Greeks?
    However, it is important to realize that translations are human work, thus
    not infallible. And that OT people did not have the scientific knowledge
    we have, and that will be shown to fall short of God's reality.

    Jan de K.