Re: Celebrating Creation.II

From: Stuart d Kirkley (stucandu@lycos.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:56:59 EDT

      Very inspiring and well written. Thank you.

    Since wisdom is a manifestation of intelligence, and the universe is
    also a manifestation of intelligence, we can extrapolate that God,
    the Creator, is therefore Mind, and the universe is actually a
    manifestation of Mind, and is governed by intelligence and wisdom.
    And since the universe is all, then therefore all is Mind and Mind is
    all, and all in all.

    Some food for thought.

    Stuart Kirkley

    --

    On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:27:51 Robert Schneider wrote: >Here is the second of my meditations on the Creation. > >Bob Schneider > > > CELEBRATING CREATION > Meditations for the Creation Season > Robert J. Schneider > St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Boone, NC > October 27, 2002 > II. WISDOM: GOD'S AGENT IN CREATION > The Psalmist declares (104:24): > O Lord, how manifold are your works! > > In wisdom you have made them all: > > The earth is full of your creatures. > > In these words, this inspired poet sets forth a theme found in many places >in the Hebrew Scriptures: in wisdom has God brought this marvelous universe >into being. So central to the notion of creation is wisdom that she has >been personified: she is in Hebrew Hokma, in the Greek texts Sophia. Some >scholars have spoken of her as "the feminine face of God." > > The Bible describes Wisdom as an expression of God's own nature. >God is the source of all wisdom (Prov. 2:8), and wisdom is one of the most >important of God's gifts to humankind (Prov. 8:11-12). Specifically, Wisdom >'s role in creation is highlighted in key passages. In the book of Proverbs >Wisdom is personified and praised as God's agent and assistant: > > The Lord created me at the beginning of his work, > > the first of his acts of long ago. > > Ages ago I was set up, > > at the first, before the beginning of the earth.. > > When he established the heavens I was there., > > When he marked out the foundation of the earth, > > then I was beside him, like a master worker; > > and I was daily his delight, > > rejoicing before him always.. (8:22-23, 29-30) > > In the Book of Ecclesiasticus (Apocrypha), Jesus the son of Sirach also >describes her: > > I came forth from the mouth of the Most High, > > And covered the earth like a mist. > > I dwelt in the highest heavens; > > And my throne was a pillar of cloud. > > Alone I compassed the vault of heaven > > And traversed the depths of the abyss.. > > Before the ages, in the beginning, he created me, > > And for all the ages I shall not cease to be (Sir. 24:3-5, 9). > > Wisdom alone knows the whole creation intimately. So also declared >the author of Job: in the magnificent love song to the creation in Job >38-41, God reminds Job that only God's wisdom knows the creation in its >entirety and in all its parts; human knowledge and understanding is limited. >Whatever human beings are able to comprehend about the creation, wisdom >teaches them, as the apocryphal Book of Wisdom declares (Wis. 7:22). The >author goes on to name her qualities: > > There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy, unique, > > manifold, subtle., > > All-powerful, overseeing all, and penetrating through all >spirits.. > > For she is a breath of the power of God, > > and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty; > > Therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her. > > for she is a reflection of eternal light, > > and a spotless mirror of the working of God, > > and an image of his goodness (7:22-26). > > Given the marvelous creatures that inhabited the world of the >ancient Hebrews-the Pleiades and Orion and all the panoply of stars (Amos >5:8), the sun like a giant running its course (Ps. 19:5), the many beasts of >the wilderness (Job 38-41), the snow-capped peak of Mt. Hermon (Sir. 24:13), >the magnificent vista of the Jordan from the heights of Mt. Zion, the >awesome desert landscapes, the hills and plains of Canaan flowing with milk >and honey (Exod. 13:5)-it is no wonder that the biblical writers were >inspired to praise God's Wisdom, and speak of her in the same personifying >language with which they spoke of the Holy One. Through their emphasis on >the role of divine Wisdom in the creation, the biblical writers imply the >creation's intrinsic goodness and value and purposefulness. > > One cannot read the many passages in the Old Testament about the >creation without realizing that in the visionary poetry of the biblical >writers all creatures rejoice in and praise their wise Maker. In Ps.148, >the Psalmist eloquently calls upon every element of the creation-sun and >moon, fire and hail, snow and frost, creeping things and flying fowl, every >thing that has breath--to praise the Lord. The biblical writers live in a >world whose every creature is alive to the presence of its Creator and >rejoices at God's manifestations. "The heavens declare the glory of God, >and the firmament shows his handiwork" (Ps. 19:1). At the coming of the >Lord, the morning stars sing together (Job 38:7), the mountains skip like >rams (Ps. 114:4), and the trees of the field clap their hands (Isa. 56:12). > > Our vision of the universe is much more expansive than those >inspired Israelites: we have even more reason to gaze with admiration upon >the creation that Divine Wisdom has wrought. We can call upon galaxies and >supernovae, upon the amazing celestial furnaces in which stars are born, >upon the all of the astonishing array of creatures we are bound together >with in this intricate web of life four billion years old-we can call upon >all this creation to join us in praising our Creator. > > > >Readings: Proverbs 8:22-31; Sirach 24:1-7; Wisdom 7:15-8:1; Psalms 136; >148. >

    ____________________________________________________________ Get 250 full-color business cards FREE right now! http://businesscards.lycos.com