Re: Fw: This scientist's verse

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 19:19:10 EDT

    These are not unique to scientists alone,
    but I have found them worth reflecting on
    as a professional scientist (NIV translation)

    Ecclesiastes 12:12
    Of making many books there is no end,
    and much study wearies the body.

    Ecclesiates 2:24-26
    A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink
    and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I
    see, is from the hand of God, for without him,
    who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who
    please him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and
    happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task
    of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it
    over to the one who pleases God. This too is
    meaningless, a chasing after wind.

    At any rate, I realize that one has to be careful
    how they live as a scientist and that they don't
    just get so rock stuck in their stupid "facts" that
    they lose sight of the richness of life. Such
    things are like "gathering and stacking up", but
    I'm not sure if they can be handed over to the one
    who pleases God. Finally, one should never forget
    that although their "toil" consumes the main fraction
    of thier life (inclusive), it can very well be
    "striving after wind" if one thinks their "works"
    are some kind of "great monument" worth remembrance.

    Anyway, by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne