Re: higher criticism

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 21:44:42 EDT

    Whether harmonization or multiple sources seems more plausible will
    generally be a subjective judgement, although the two are nto always
    mutually incompatible.

    > The 2 & 7 of every kind in the flood story<

    7 of clean kinds and 2 of unclean kinds does not seem to be a very
    strained harmonization. The chiastic structure thoughout the Flood
    story supports a single source.

    >the Midianites & Ishamaelites of Gen.37:25-28<

    The story of Gideon explicitly identifies Midianites as a subset of
    Ishmaelites, indicating some flexibility in the latter term.

    >Moses' multiple ascents of Mt. Sinai<
    Could you cite the specific ascents in question? Obviously coming
    down, getting rid of the calf, and going back for a replacement copy
    implies two ascents, but I vaguely recall additional ascent
    references that provide much more of a challenge to harmonize.

    >E.g., the picture of Hagar carrying her 17 year old son through the
    >wilderness is rather odd.<

    A quick look at the passage failed to turn up mention of carrying
    him. What verse do you have in mind here?

    Regarding the possibility of an early date for P, is there any
    evidence for a late date? All dating of the sources that I know of
    reflects speculation on the context of their composition plus
    whatever weight is given to the historical narratives of the Old
    Testament.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa