The Great Divide

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 13:38:21 EDT

    Earlier today I mentioned a new book on the "conflation" issue.

    THE GREAT DIVIDE, Religious and Cultural Conflict in American Party
    Politics,
    by Geoffrey Layman, Columbia University Press, 2001.

    A few excerpts from the book jacket:

    "How did the Christian Right come to predominate in the Republican party?

    "Layman examines the role of religion in he Democratic and Republican
    parties... ."

    Layman is a professor of Political Science at Vanderbilt. The book is
    recommended reading, particularly by those who may find its claims
    distasteful.

    More later. I started it only last night -- am 1/3 of the way through
    with a page of notes.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
            (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
             humor, cars, philosophy, ethics etc.)