RE: What is your faith based on?

From: Don Perrett-VP GPA (donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 06:05:08 EDT

    I couldn't have put it better myself. Just because our interpretations of
    the Bible don't fit into our little world, does not mean that it isn't
    accurate. In almost every lie there is some truth. IOW, the truth is in the
    Bible even if the story may seem to have changed somehow, due to language or
    culture. What was true then is true now. My belief and understanding is that
    Christ came not to change the word but to fulfill it. Some say that refers
    to prophecy. I say it refers to bringing back what the original meanings of
    God's commands were. From Moses up to Christ some people had begun to be to
    strict and others to sinful. He came to let people know that one can sin and
    be forgiven. That does not mean however that we should not follow the OT
    laws it just means that when someone breaks the law they should be forgiven,
    if they are repentant. If one does not know they committed a sin then they
    are not sinning. If one knows they sinned and does not repent, they will not
    be forgiven. If one knows they sinned and repents, but continues to commit
    the same sin, then they will not be forgiven. Some on this list would
    disagree. They would quote Christ as saying "Let he who is without sin cast
    the first stone". But they would fail to mention that he also said "Go and
    sin no more". He didn't say keep doing it, because you'll be forgiven. As
    for factual events, every event in the Bible happened, as far as I'm
    concerned. Even if we can't believe it or see it. We can't see God but most
    believe in him. But many say that things such as the flood or Job or etc did
    not happen because we can't see it happening. It may not be so direct an
    interpretation and that is the problem. We must use our hearts not just our
    heads to decide what is real. So whatever is said on this listserv, just
    keep using your heart to believe in what you know to be real.

    Don Perrett