The new American prayer

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:13:51 EDT

    At the risk of offending -- I came on this
    prayer by Robert McAfee Brown, which seems appropriate
    for our times.

    Let us pray.

    O Thou great Chief of Staff,
    Supreme in the Chain of Command,
    Keep us on top.
    We fight for you, we kill for you,
    >From bombers (as it were) in heaven.

    Give us a budget
    Commensurate with our needs.
    And forgive us our collateral damage
    As we forgive the 9/11 terrorists.

    Lead us not into land wars,
    And deliver us from Congressional control and Senate hearings
    For yours is the kingdom
    (Ours is the air power)
    And also the glory.

    Unless Saddam strikes first, of course.

    At ease.

    Ten years from now, will we look back to this fall, and wish that our
    middle eastern war had gone as well as Vietnam?

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
            (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
             humor, cars, philosophy, ethics etc.)