Re: Who lied? Moses or God?

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 15:30:51 EDT

    Thanks for your post, Bob

    >"The Bible-versus-science debate has, most regrettably, sidetracked
    >readers of Gen. 1. Instead of reading the chapter as a triumphant
    >affirmation of the power and wisdom of God and the wonder of his creation,
    >we have been too often bogged down in attempting to squeeze Scripture into
    >the mold of the latest scientific hypothesis or distorting scientific facts
    >to fit a particular interpretation. When allowed to speak for itself, Gen.
    >1 looks beyond such minutiae.

    There was much of interest in your post, but I think this was the most
    interesting. I think it is fair to say that Christianity has suffered
    much "egg in the face" over scientific nonsense (young earth, global
    flood).

    My reason for the thread is that the credibility of God Himself (or
    Christianity) gets called into question. Did God really tell Moses
    that He created the heavens and earth in six days? If He didn't, then
    Moses was a liar and how can we trust any of the OT? If He did, what
    type of God is this, anyway?

    >1:5: "There can be little doubt that here "day" has its basic sense of
    >a 24-hour period. The mention of morning and evening, the enumeration of
    >the days, and the divine rest on the seventh show that a week of divine
    >activity is being describe here.

    Yes, this cannot be argued (at least by me at this point in time). In
    addition, there is the mention of Day and Night. The only hope that I
    can see (scientifically speaking) is that the "days" represent milestone
    events in creation, and thus "ages". And I confess that it is a bit
    strained (then again, there is correspondence between scientific events and
    Gen 1,
    and the need to understand what prophecy looks like - I'm not an expert, but
    it tends to have "symbolic" language).

    But I do know that (many?) on this list see Gen 1 as non-historical. I'm
    still wondering how they would answer what is going on in Ex 20:11. Did
    God really tell Moses this, or is Moses a liar?

    Wondering where Christianity is headed,

    Jim Eisele
    Genesis in Question
    http://genesisinquestion.org