baseball and God

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 08:58:48 EDT

    George Murphy's humorous comment about theodicy and baseball spurs me to add
    some thoughts of my own. I'm not trying to start a new thread here, just to
    throw a little humor into the world. I teach a course on baseball and
    american life, which sometimes leads me to think strange thoughts.

    One thought, that God is lefthanded (as I am, of course, and so is my wife
    and one of our daughters), is almost capable of a deductive proof. It's too
    long to give here, but the central points include the fact that baseball has
    been divinely revealed and the fact that first base is on the right side of
    home plate, from the catcher's point of view, rather than vice versa. If
    God were not left-handed, this would not be so. Get me to provide the
    details in person, rather than online, at a future ASA function....

    I have also thought of writing a modern Bridgewater treatise, as follows:
    On the Power, Wisdom, and Goodness of God as Manifested in Baseball. I've
    actually given this one some serious thought, but as yet no serious effort
    to write it. But it would be lots of fun to try, and I'd start with a
    theology of suffering: since God is clearly a Cub fan who also likes the Red
    Sox (God thinks baseball should be played on grass, close to the fans, and
    preferably in the daylight), then why do those two teams not win the World
    Series? The answer does have something to do with suffering and theodicy, I
    suspect. But I won't detail that one too far here, so as not to appear too
    frivelous with deadly serious theology. But you get the point.

    George, have you given thought to this line of reasoning? Isn't there more
    evidence here of the divine character, than in the fact that the Angels beat
    the Yankees--though I too am rejoicing in that event?

    Ted Davis