Re: higher criticism

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 11:04:47 EDT

    > I wonder, did the Higher Critics of Scripture evolve the
    technique of the "Just So Story" by themselves, or did they borrow it
    from the Evolutionary Biologists? Or could it have been the other
    way around? Or, as the Cladists would have us include, was it an
    example of Convergent Evolution? In any case, we should never lack a
    Naturalistic explanation for its Origin.<

    Actually, it appears to be a case of agressive mimicry, in which a
    harmful form disguises itself as something harmless or beneficial,
    like a wolf in sheep's clothing. In the present case, it is
    Enlightenment scepticism masquerading as science.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa