Re: Traditional Xtianity teaches

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:31:48 EDT

    At 11:19 PM 07/10/2002 -0600, Terry M. Gray wrote:

    >As for the Jan's point about the poor...the political question is how
    >do we best take care of the poor, via government programs or by other
    >means, say charitable organizations and the church. Marvin Olasky is
    >one political conservative (who does happen to be a conservative
    >Presbyterian, but not of the "Left Behind" variety) who has given
    >this a lot of thought. Burgy, are you familiar with any of his
    >writings?

    WE have to take care of the poor and not just expect the government to do
    so. Yes, we should try to influence politicians to get the government to
    do its part. However, with budget restraints operating the way they do,
    the result is that those who have nothing and not voting, are often
    disillusioned about all parties. Besides, how often have I not heard: "It
    is their own fault. They should work" " we had a hard time too but we
    found work as well." all easy ways to get out of our own
    responsibilities. Besides, as long as the main purpose of a political
    party appears to be taking care of the economy of a country, we will not
    get anywhere with governmental institutions."

    Jan de Koning