Re: Traditional Xtianity teaches

From: John Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 13:11:44 EDT

    Jan wrote, in part: "they forget important parts of the instructions of the
    Bible: for example, some say that being poor is their own fault, not
    listening to our Lord's saying that the poor will always be with us,
    indicating that we must take care of them."

    Total and complete agreement on this, Jan. I have more than a few Christian
    friends who are good contributors to missions overseas "to preach the
    gospel" but look with real disdain on some of the poor we have in the USA.
    Rush Limbaugh about a month ago was sneering at a man who earned 12K a year
    and still needed food stamps to feed his family. I recounted that bit of
    nonsense to my friend and was amazed to see how quickly he agreed with Rush.
    I'm not sure a single person could make it on 12K a year in most
    metropolitan areas.

    Rush Limbaugh, by the way, is one of several key exhibits in the case for
    associating Republicanism and traditional/fundamentalist Christianity.
    (Terry calls this "conflation," but that term presupposes no causal
    relationship between the two). He (Rush) claims about 2,000,000 "ditto
    heads" nationwide, and his popularity with some folks indicates that claim
    may be fairly accurate.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com