RE: Traditional Xtianity teaches

From: Don Perrett-VP GPA (donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 02:49:48 EDT

    I realize that perhaps some may have strong objections to fundamentalism, as
    do I to some degree. I must state however that everyone, including
    churches, have socio-political stances. While much of your list reflect
    certain biblical interpretations, I do not see how one can ascribe
    socio-political views to a specific "religious" group(s). I would further
    state that doing so is a VERY narrow view, and shows a much deeper personal
    hatred for those with opposing views. Too make this simple and
    understandable, I will give each item a rating from 1-10 as to the amount I
    agree that the item is a "religious" teaching of fundamentalists.
    1=9, 2=4, 3=10, 4=7, 5=5, 6=9, 7=9, 8=4, 9=10, 10=6,
    11=9, 12=0, 13=2, 14=0, 15=5, 16=8, 17=5, 18=0, 19=7, 20=9,
    21=0, 22=0, 23=6, 24=9, 25=8, 26=9, 27=9, 28=8, 29=6

    Bear in mind that the above is not my take on the items, but rather my
    understanding of how fundamentalists would view them.

    Don Perrett

    >>Here is the list:

    Traditional Xtianity teaches:

    1 Adam and Eve were actual people
    2 Those who never hear of Jesus in this life are lost
    3 Those who hear of Jesus and reject him are lost
    4 Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. are lost
    5 All lost people will suffer endless punishment
    6 Homosexual acts are always sinful
    7 Abortion at any stage of pregnancy and for any reason is always murder
    8 Only males should be ordained as ministers, elders, bishops or deacons
    9 Jesus second coming will happen
    10 Believers will be resurrected with new bodies
    11 Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation
    12 It is not sinful to be a Democrat, but it is close to it
    13 It is always sinful to have a female lead in a worship service
    14 Republicans follow God more closely than Democrats
    15 Salvation means the attainment of heaven after death
    16 There are only two possibilities after death, eternal bliss or endless
    punishment
    17 Jesus Christ is both human and divine
    18 Government welfare is not fair to those who have been sober and
    thrifty
    19 Jesus had a physical body after his resurrection
    20 Satan is a real entity
    21 Jesus does not approve of gun control laws
    22 Jesus does approve of the government mandating public school prayers
    23 Divorce is always sinful
    24 The flood really happened
    25 Jonah is literal history
    26 Job is literal history
    27 The original manuscripts of the Bible are inerrant
    28 What we have today is quite close to the original manuscripts
    29 The earth was formed in its present state less than 10,000 years ago

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
             (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
              humor, cars, philosophy, ethics etc.)