Re: theology (Was Re: Did Peter walk on water?)

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 10:16:30 EDT

    To my remark:
    <<
           "Likewise Christians who agree with the A-camp are in for a rough ride,
      and
      may not be standing on firm theological ground either."

    Bob Schneider wrote:

    <<
            Would you elaborate, Wayne. "Agree with the A-camp" in what respect?

    That was a bit terse. What I mean is A-camp
    assertions like "Evolution === no God" where
    "===" means "identically equal to". This is
    derived from a larger set of propositions which
    assert that "If science is capable of explaining
    something, God did not do anything on it."
    Thus, evolution, supposedly explains how life
    came about, therefore there is no need to invoke
    a God. Mind you, the miracle of a habitable
    universe is dismissed. Of course people play
    with that one too. A somewhat related issue is
    "to show a mechanism for God's interaction with
    the world". That is certainly one that I have
    sometimes found myself caught up in (being of a
    physicist by training its ingrained). The main
    problem with all of them is that we don't know
    where God is coming from.

    "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set
    eternity in the hearts of men: yet they cannot fathom what God has
    done from beginning to end. (Ecc. 3:11)"

    Anyway, they (the A-camp) have sold many people on the hypothesis
    that matter is all there is, was and ever will be.
    We don't know the answer of course and we must
    confess that it is possible, but we also
    know that throughout history, it has been
    the typical arrogance of every generation to
    think that THEIR generation has solved it all,
    and the next generation (of course) will just
    be needed to sweep up the lab where those _great_
    experiments were done.

    by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne