Re: Genesis in cuneiform on tablets

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 19:13:19 EDT

    Hi Peter you wrote:

    >1. Writing was very common in Babylonia at least from the late 4th
    >millennium BC onward. It was used for ordinary things, as well as for
    >important ones. One wrote on clay tablets using cuneiform script
    >(developing over time). This writing culture extended at least to the
    >middle of the 1st millennium BC and as far west as the countries of the
    >eastern Mediterranean. Cuneiform was readily understood in Egypt, as
    >well (cf. the Tell-el-Amarna tablets of 1400 BC). Apparently, important
    >people had their genealogies and other historical events written on
    >tablets, which were then kept and copied as family documents. It would
    >be surprising if the biblical patriarchs had not done so with their own
    >genealogies and with the wonderful divine promises they had received.
    >The reference to a "book" or "written record" ("sepher") in Gen.5:1
    >states as much.

    I would be surprised if a clay tablet version existed. Why lug clay
    tablets all
    over the desert for 40 years? Papyrus was light, portable, and in vogue at the
    time of the Exodus. Plus, where are they?

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    ěThe Answer we should have known about 150 years agoî