Jesus on water? (was Re: Did Peter walk on water?)

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 14:50:08 EDT

    It has been brought up that we need to "steer clear" of getting
    too worked up over historicity.

    I'm always willing to follow things to their logical conclusion.

    It seems to me that the logical conclusion of Peter not walking
    on water is that we can no longer trust the plain words of
    Scripture. That's an awful lot to swallow. But, perhaps someone
    wants to explain the theological value of saying Peter walked on
    water when nothing of the sort ever happened. I haven't seen
    the explanation yet. But, obviously there must be some theological
    value for it to be included in the gospel.

    And what about Jesus? Did he walk on water or not? What would the
    theological implications be one way or the other?

    Jim Eisele
    Genesis in Question
    http://genesisinquestion.org