RE: Did Peter walk on water?

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 15:22:14 EDT

    Seems to me like if there is a clear tradition that places Matthew as
    the author dating back to the 2nd century (Irenaeus), then we, people
    of the 20th-21st century should accept that as valid until proven
    otherwise. The 2-source theory is not convincing to me, although
    George seems to assume it. There are several problems with it, but to
    me the most basic one is the existence of Q. As far as I know, it
    hasn't been found. What is so unbelievable about Matthew writing the
    Gospel according to Matthew?

    In Against Heresies (3.1.1.), Irenaeus (a student of Polycarp, who in
    turn was discipled by the apostle John) wrote:
    "Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own
    dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching at Rome, and laying the
    foundations of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple
    and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what
    had been preached by Peter. Luke also, the companion of Paul,
    recorded in a book the Gospel preached by him. Afterwards, John, the
    disciple of the Lord, who also had leaned upon His breast, did
    himself publish a Gospel during his residence at Ephesus in Asia."

    Adrian.