Re: St. Michael & All Angels

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 12:59:03 EDT

    >How would we talk about angels in the context of modern
    >science-theology dialogue?<
    > Such a discussion should, of course, pay serious attention to
    >what scripture does & does not enable us to say about angelic
    >beings.<

    Apart from their occasional accessibility to some human senses (and
    to at least one donkey), little information is available. A pastor
    (and former biologist, Jamie McGregor) reported that his small
    daughter asked if angels have bones. The only answer he could come
    up with was that they seem to have teeth, as they do occasionally
    share a meal.

    C. S. Lewis and Madeline L'Engle have some discusison of these types
    of issues in their fiction. In particular, Lewis's spcae trilogy has
    a few discussions of the more scientific aspects of angelic beings,
    though largely reaching the conclusion that we do not know the
    answers.

    A Journal of Irreproducible Results paper purported to assess the
    suitability of angels (from Carolina Theological Supply) as lab
    animals. As they went through the walls of the maze and showed no
    interest in the available rewards at the end of it, they were judged
    to be less easy to work with than rats. Although silly in intent,
    this does illustrate the difficulties of obtaining scientific data on
    them.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa