Deceptive God? from AiG...

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 12:46:00 EDT

    >Last year, when I was presenting the thinking of Gosse here (his
    >book OMPHALOS), George Murphy and others thought that one key
    >argument against Gosse's ideas was "the deceptive god." Ad now you
    >have used that again (properly, of course).

    >My thought is this -- how do we know God does not -- sometimes
    >--deliberately deceive? It seems that He did so at least once
    >(actually several times) in the story of the plagues of Egypt. Over
    >and over God tells Moses to lie to Pharaoh, to tell him the people
    >want only to go three days march into the desert to sacrifice --
    >rather than tell Pharaoh their real plan is to keep on going.

    >To me, then, one way the silly ideas of ICR and AIG could be
    >supported, perhaps by some variant of OMPHALOS, is to claim a
    >deceptive God. The story of the plagues might be used to support
    >this.<

    However, it is also obvious that this Pharoah was not going to grant
    even a relatively reasonable request. It is thus moot as to what the
    people would have done had Pharoah decided to humor the slaves,
    letting them do their rites and maybe even getting a little credit
    with their god (from his viewpoint). Likewise, when God sends a
    lying spirit to Ahab's prophets, He also sends the truth through
    Micaiah. This connects to James 1, in that it is our own sinful
    inclinations rather than God deceiving us. Similar language is
    commonly used by militant YEC advocates to claim that those who
    disagree with them must be following their own self-deceiving ways.
    In itself, it is a logically consistent claim (i.e., everything in
    disagreement with my views is wrong), but it is untestable.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa