Re: Did Peter walk on water?

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 17:09:30 EDT

    Hi,

    I brought up this question to the list, because I wanted to see how many could
    call this text "true" and then turn around and say that it never
    really happened
    and is not historical. That is just an opinion poll. However, what
    you have said
    below goes well beyond that.

    The difficulty as I see it, is that you have just ruled out any possibility of
    we poor non theologians ever studying the Bible and getting the proper message.
    Not only must one study under a scholar, but you imply that only those scholars
    who agree with you are qualified to interpret the scriptures.

    I have a number of Bibles with references and Commentaries to assist in Bible
    study. Frankly, the theological opinions often presented on this
    particular list
    (like that below) are rarely found in any commentary that I have ----
    and I get
    my references from Christian bookstores in liberal Kennedyland. My primary
    reference for New Testament is the Tyndale Commentaries. It totally disagrees
    with the view that the text we have been discussing is non-historical and does
    not offer any suggestion at all that is a midrash. Yet, if others on this list
    suggest it is historical in nature, we get a lecture about our lack of
    theological understanding.

    What is a poor engineer or scientist to do? If ASA is truly a "Big Tent" where
    many members of the Christian Faith may abide, then where would describe the
    relative position of the viewpoint below with respect to the ASA center of
    gravity (to use some "scientific" lingo ;-)?

    Do you think that it is in the center or on the far left?

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>