Ferngren book

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 09:27:55 EDT

    Karl Evans asked whether the new book edited by Gary Ferngren is new, or
    reprinted contributions from other places. As one of the contributors, I
    can answer that question.

    The essays are taken with no substantial changes from The History of
    Science and Religion in the Western Tradition (Garland, 2000), which
    Ferngren also edited, and which Amazon lists at $150. The new book lists at
    $20.

    The idea for this book, I think, was actually that of Johns Hopkins Press.
    They thought a shorter book with the "highlights" of the big encyclopedia
    might be suitable for various college courses. Or something like that.

    So, if you have access to the big boy, you won't need the little boy.
    Otherwise, well, you make the decision.

    Ted Davis