Re: Accuracy of the Bible

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 21:12:32 EDT

    Jan,

    As best I can tell, my understanding of the words "truth" and
    "history" are more
    in line with the average American -- than that of the learned on this ASA list.

    My request is that we "call a spade a spade" and not hide behind new
    meetings of
    commonly accepted vocabulary. We would all be better off if we simply
    stated what
    we mean without wordology or cryptology.

    My wife and my granddaughter -- upon my (non-leading) questioning -- just gave
    the common, dictionary meaning of these words.

    As I scientist, I have never become wrapped up in these obtuse
    discussions of the
    meaning of such simple words --- or at least what they used to be --- before
    gathering with ASA .

    jan@dekoning.ca wrote:

    > It is not reasonable to think that people in the past are thinking in the
    > same words as we do. "Historical" has a specific meaning now, especially
    > for scientists, a meaning that is not shared by everyone. People in the
    > past did not think in the same words as we do and some words have other
    > meanings. Even when they have approximately the same meaning, a word like
    > "history" was not used even some centuries ago in the same way it is now
    > used by scientists. God inspired the Bible not to scientists but to
    > "ordinary" (let us say people not versed in physics etc.) people. Requiring
    > that they must have read the words in the same way as we do is very
    > un-scientific. We need language-scientists, philosophy-scientists,
    > hsitory-scientists etc. The way the word "science' is used as if it is the
    > end of a discussion, forgets that even mathematics (but all science) is
    > founded on certain philosphies. Especially the explaining of its results.
    > This is my last reply now. I explained my position several times in the
    > past, without getting sufficiently founded replies. I got trapped again
    > here. I am sorry.
    >
    > Jan
    >
    > Walter Hicks writes:
    >
    > > Jim Eisele wrote:
    > >

    > >> I'm realistic enough not to expect agreement. But, the stakes are high,
    > >> and some will drop out along the way. My claim is that the Bible is
    > >> historical until shown otherwise.
    > >
    > > I will second this. Why is it not a reasonable position? Is it
    >not what we
    > > generally follow with respect to scientific theories?
    > >
    > > Why, I'd bet that even a good lawyer might agree ;-).
    > >
    > > Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.