Re: Accuracy of the Bible

From: jan@dekoning.ca
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 14:11:45 EDT

    It is not reasonable to think that people in the past are thinking in the
    same words as we do. "Historical" has a specific meaning now, especially
    for scientists, a meaning that is not shared by everyone. People in the
    past did not think in the same words as we do and some words have other
    meanings. Even when they have approximately the same meaning, a word like
    "history" was not used even some centuries ago in the same way it is now
    used by scientists. God inspired the Bible not to scientists but to
    "ordinary" (let us say people not versed in physics etc.) people. Requiring
    that they must have read the words in the same way as we do is very
    un-scientific. We need language-scientists, philosophy-scientists,
    hsitory-scientists etc. The way the word "science' is used as if it is the
    end of a discussion, forgets that even mathematics (but all science) is
    founded on certain philosphies. Especially the explaining of its results.
    This is my last reply now. I explained my position several times in the
    past, without getting sufficiently founded replies. I got trapped again
    here. I am sorry.

    Jan