Re: The Flood Hoax

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 20:15:35 EDT

    From: "Robert Schneider" <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>

    No, the consensus that Jonah is a parable has emerged as a
    > result of a careful study of the narrative form and stylistic features of
    > the text.

    Robert, that is the consensus of one school of thought. The consensus of
    the other and to me more dominant school holds it to be literal, c.f. the
    NIV introductory note which states, after an exposition of the opposing
    points, "The book of Jonah recounts real events in th4e life and ministry of
    the prophet himself." Jay

      If you haven't gotten hung up, as so many people do, over whether
    > Jonah was really swallowed by that "whale."

    Excellent point, Robert, but without historicity the power of God expressed
    in the events renders the themes and message morals in a fairy tale. Jay

      I thank God for choosing such fine literary artists to create stories for
    the canon of Scripture.)

    Amen, Robert, not to mention the Song of Solomon. It is far harder to
    create literature from fact than fancy. Jay

      One does not deny faith in the miraculous by confining this miracle to the
    story.

    Robert, but in doing so one denies faith that God worked that specific
    miracle. Jay