Re: The Flood Hoax

From: Jay Willingham (
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 20:03:41 EDT

    From: "george murphy" <>

      The reason for such assessment is that there are features

    ----George: My NIV says "a visit required three days" in Jonah 3:3. Jay

    > "The king of Nineveh" is a title equivalent to "The president of
    > Washington." The king who might have been resident in Nineveh would have
    > been "the king of Assyria."

    ----- George, I always thought that figure of speach could also mean the
    king of Assyria. Jay

    > There is no historical evidence for a mass conversion of the whole
    city of Nineveh in the time of historical prophet Jonah (II Kg.14:25), some
    time around 765 B.C.

    -----George, our best historical source for the period documentarily
    speaking is the canon of scripture. By Jonah's day, knowledge of God would
    have been widespread, so when a miraculously appearing prophet of God's said
    "You're toast", they figured correctly this God was to be reconed with. Jay

    > The prayer of Jonah in Chapter 2 makes no reference to his being
    "in the belly of the fish" but seems to be that of a man threatened with
    drowning (2:5).

    Exactly, George, a man saved from drowning by a fish. Jay

    > There are obvious exaggerations. I already mentioned the size of
    > Nineveh. Jonah's "sermon" in 3:4 is 5 words in Hebrew - enough to satisfy
    > the minimum conditions of his commission but hardly enough to convert the
    > whole city.

    -----George, if a fish just puked a man on the beach and that man told you
    were about to be annihilated, you would probably start praying for some
    relief, too. Jay.

      This is manifestly false. The point of Lk.12:16-21 is not lost if
    > the events in it didn't actually take place.
    > (& of course many other parables of Jesus could be mentioned. I note this
    > because God appears in it directly rather than via some representation
    like the
    > father in the story of the prodigal son.)

    -----George, Jesus expressly posed his stories and parables as such. Jonah
    and Job are named as are many others in their stories. Jay
      The force of this question ought not be blunted by trying to find other
    messages in the story.

    ------Amen, George. Petty geneologies can draw us aside from the Savior's
    imprimatur to forgive others as we are forgiven,,, Jay