Re: The Flood Hoax

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 19:56:51 EDT

    Several comments to your post, George. These are based upon my
    general philosophy
    of giving the Bible a chance to be literally or historically accurate
    before going
    to a "theological only" reason for a text. Now certainly Jonah has a
    lot of great
    theology, but does not automatically make historically invalid. As a counter to
    the notion that it must be a religious fable. I note that;

    1.) Jonah was a real person according to other Biblical texts
    2.) Nineveh was a real place.
    3.) References to a "king of Nineveh" may be found in other places
    than the Bible
    (Do a Goggle search)
    4.) Our definition of the boundary limits of Nineveh may not be the same as in
    Jonah's time since some 2700 years have passed. I have seen a least
    one commentary
    that suggests a limit of 60 miles to include the "outlying regions"
    of Nineveh or
    other credible suggestions
    5.) It doesn't even need a "miracle fish", just a miracle by God --
    or even a now
    extinct fish.
    6.) Jesus spoke of Jonah (a real person) as having been in the
    stomach of a fish
    for 3 days.
    7.) Jesus said that the people of Nineveh repented (not converted) at Jonah's
    preaching.
    8.) It is generally acknowledged that the Holy Spirit convicts men -- not the
    preaching of a reluctant witness like Jonah.

    All told, there seems to me to be more reasons to accept the story of Jonah as
    historical rather than as a fable.. Just because it "reads like a
    story" and has
    theological merit ------ well there a true stories and fictitious stories. Both
    "tend to read like stories"

    IMO