Re: The Flood Hoax

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 06:31:08 EDT

    Robert Schneider wrote:

    > Ian in his note below interprets Jesus in Matt. 5:17, 18 as referring
    to the
    > "inerrancy" of the scriptures or the law. I think rather that Jesus
    was
    > referring to "fulfillment" rather than "inerrancy." He also writes
    that
    > "Christ re-affirmed OT stories (Jonah in Mt. 12:38-40)" and adds "Were

    > Christ's references to Jonah and the flood simply his misunderstanding
    of
    > the scriptures? Did He really believe that Jonah was swallowed by a
    big
    > fish?" Reading this passage from Matthew I see no reason to conclude
    > necessarily that Christ thought that the story of Jonah was a
    historical
    > fact. One could make a good case that Christ, being a teller of
    parables
    > himself, recognized that the story of Jonah is an extended parable,
    for the
    > lesson which Christ draws from the story of Jonah is the lesson of
    that
    > parable: repentance. That is one "sign of Jonah" Christ clearly
    refers to.
    > Another is his using the allusion of Jonah in the fish three days and
    nights
    > as an allegory for his forthcoming death and resurrection; the former
    sign
    > is wrapped around the latter..

    I have seen it posted many times that Jonah was an allegory or Parable,
    rather
    than a historical event. Now I can understand why that may be said for
    events
    that seem to be invalidated by scientific research (such as global
    flood).
    However, I see no reason for rejecting Jonah as a historical event,
    other than a
    bias against "miraculous" type events events in the Old Testament. Is
    there any
    scientific data to reject this as an actual happening?

    Walt
    ===================================
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must