Re: The Flood Hoax

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 11:03:18 EDT

    Ian Hassell wrote:

    > Were Christ's references to Jonah and the flood simply his
    > misunderstanding of the scriptures? Did He really believe that
    Jonah was
    > swallowed by a big fish? What are the implications to our
    acceptance of
    > the
    > OT, and to a larger extent our acceptance of Christ, given these
    quotes
    > from
    > him?

    I often refer to Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, and have sometimes
    referenced Jonah as well. They are descriptive of life, personality,
    and character, and we all can identify with them quite well. Jesus
    very well could have referenced them for that reason, just as I might
    reference MacBeth's lament, Hamlet, Arthur Dent (Hitchhiker's
    Guide), etc.

    Having faith does mean accepting some uncertainty in what you
    know. It is in the "unseen". If the Bible were plain and simple
    fact, everything could be easily verified and there would be no need
    for faith anymore. Only a real fool would chose to question it at that
    point. But it's not that simple. What I think we are really saying as
    believers in God, and in a gospel where our savior was mocked and
    crucified is that there is a lot more to life than plain and simple
    measurable facts. Our faith then is that the universe is a lot more
    complex than some people's philosophies would allow.

    Some of the bible certainly must be true, or our faith is in vain.
    The Exodus, and the resurrection are two examples. But not all
    of the bible must be true (in the literal sense), for it to be a valid
    reference for our lives. It provides examples that give us insight
    into how to (and how not to) live out a Godly life. Not all such
    descriptions must be 100% factually true and scientifically verifiable
    to make their point. It is at that point that you have to make your
    own decision where to draw the line.

    by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne