Overpopulation (Re: Fusion Reactors)

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 20:51:06 EDT

    Glenn Morton wrote:

    > Walter Hicks wrote onTuesday, September 10, 2002 3:00 AM
    > >The number of barrels per person is the ratio of two numbers. May
    > >I suggest that
    > >the problem is too many people rather than too few barrels of oil.
    > >

    > First, are you going to go tell everyone else to cease having sex? Can I
    > sell tickets to that event? :-)

    If you assume that sex and having children are synonomous, then there must be a
    lot of little Mortons running around on the England countryside ;-).

    > The number of people are a reason we are using the energy up as fast as we
    > are. While I agree with you that more people will use it up more quickly,
    > who do you think should depart this world, the Third World people who don't
    > use much or the Americans who do?

    I once read an article that more or less went as follows:

    1.) At the current growth rate, by the year three thousand and something,
    humans would occupy a volume greater than the known universe.
    2.) This physically cannot happen
    3.) The growth rate must eventually go to zero or negative
    4.) The growth rate is the birth rate minus the death rate.
    5.) Either the birth rate must decrease or the death rate must increase

      It is possible for science to address this problem.

    Comments?

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must