Science Article Dating Meteorites 4500 Ma

From: Rich Blinne (richblinne@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 19:15:10 EDT

    While we are on the subject of dating the following article is in the 6
    September Science. Note the last sentence of the abstract confirming dating
    by other than Pb/Pb isochrons. Since the dating source is extraterrestrial
    I wonder how the YEC are going to come up with a contamination theory.

    Lead Isotopic Ages of Chondrules and Calcium-Aluminum-Rich Inclusions

    Yuri Amelin,1*dagger Alexander N. Krot,2 Ian D. Hutcheon,3 Alexander A.
    Ulyanov4

    The lead-lead isochron age of chondrules in the CR chondrite Acfer 059 is
    4564.7 ± 0.6 million years ago (Ma), whereas the lead isotopic age of
    calcium-aluminum-rich inclusions (CAIs) in the CV chondrite Efremovka is
    4567.2 ± 0.6 Ma. This gives an interval of 2.5 ± 1.2 million years (My)
    between formation of the CV CAIs and the CR chondrules and indicates that
    CAI- and chondrule-forming events lasted for at least 1.3 My. This time
    interval is consistent with a 2- to 3-My age difference between CR CAIs and
    chondrules inferred from the differences in their initial 26Al/27Al ratios
    and supports the chronological significance of the 26Al-26Mg systematics.

    1 Department of Earth Sciences, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6,
    Canada.
    2 Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, School of Ocean and Earth
    Science and Technology, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA.
    3 Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA 94451, USA.
    4 M. V. Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow 117999, Russia.
    * Present address: Geological Survey of Canada, 601 Booth Street, Ottawa,
    ON K1A 0E8, Canada.

    dagger To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail:
    yamelin@NRCan.gc.ca

    Volume 297, Number 5587, Issue of 6 Sep 2002, pp. 1678-1683.