Re: Critique of ID & No Free Lunch

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 21:07:32 EDT

    --- "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@chartermi.net>
    wrote:
    > One of my mischievous hopes is that positive SETI
    > results will be known
    > before I die. It would necessitate some fascinating
    > adjustments in theology.

    In which (whose) theology? Paul Davies would agree
    with you, but I don't think he has much more than a
    scintilla (if that) of real understanding of real
    theology and I don't think you would think theology
    would need to be adjusted in the way he might presume.

    Interestingly, ET life to Davies (last I read his
    current opinion) would be further evidence in favor of
    God. Yet, there are plenty of materialists who would
    think the opposite. The funny thing I find about most
    arguments from nature either by atheists or by theists
    is that they can almost always be interpreted to
    satisfy either position (of course with various
    degrees of persuasiveness).

    Regards,

    Blake