Re: Newton and ID

From: John Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 16:52:29 EDT

    >>Burgy gives Newton as an example (the first?) of a scientist using ID in
    >>his
    work. In fact ID ideas trace back to the Stoics, as they are fully aware
    themselves, and a great many scientists over the years have seen design as
    an integral part of their scientific work.>>

    Thanks for additional info. I should have said that the earliest use of the
    concept (and I think the use of the very phrase "Intelligent Agent") that I
    had seen was that of Newton, and that I had not tried to trace it back
    beyond that time.

    When I was arguing the ideas in 1987, I was somewhat proud of the "fact"
    that I had "invented" the term "intelligent agent," and it was one of my
    chief critics who pointed out that Newton had anticipated the term. I think
    it is a useful term, whether or not one holds any belief that it describes a
    real entity.

    Thanks, Ted.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com