PCA, "charismatic" theologies and science

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 16:25:55 EDT

    >Speaking only of Warfield, there is an excellent book just out on
    >his writings about science, religion, evolution, etc. Warfield
    >accepted evolution without question and was, by any measure I can
    >think of a deeply devout committed faithful Christian. I read the
    >book last year; I seem to recall that he did hold to scriptural
    >inerrancy.
    >I would be interested to understand the reasons why anyone would
    >consider him a "heretic of the first order."<

    Anyone who holds that belief in YEC is an essential part of the
    gospel (a very serious error in light of Galatians 1) would therefore
    label Warfield a heretic. Sort of like the time I pointed out to
    someone that The Fundamentals rejects YEC and he said he heard there
    were some liberals involved in its production.

    As to the PCA, I have had a varied experience. There are some ardent
    advocates of YEC, many who are sympathetic to YEC but recognize it as
    a matter of secondary importance, and many who rate it a lot lower
    than secondary. On the other hand, a fair portion of my PCA
    experience has been in college towns, which probably does not
    represent a random sample. My latest posting to the PCA News website
    relating to the issue has generated about a half-dozen replies, none
    from a militantly YEC viewpoint. On the other hand, my previous
    exchange on the site was with a combattively YEC individual, and
    anyone accepting his accusations might not think me worth replying
    to. I have occasionally heard sermons touching on the topic where I
    would have misgivings. At least many presbyteries do have some
    individuals opposed to ordination of those with old-earth views, but
    they do not always command a majority. For my own ordination as a
    deacon, the view of our session was that the Westminst!
    er standards basically paraphrase Genesis, so if you are satisfied
    that your views are compatible with Genesis, that's fine.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa