RE: "charismatic" theologies and science

From: Rich Blinne (richblinne@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 18:32:40 EDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Michael Roberts [mailto:michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk]
    Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 3:15 PM
    To: Bundrick, David; Rich Blinne; jdac@alphalink.com.au
    Cc: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: Re: "charismatic" theologies and science

    >Let's be clear. Charles Hodge in his Systematic Theology (c1870)makes
    it
    >clear that he holds firmly to an old earth and in What is Darwinism
    (1874)
    >is prepared to accept that evolution could have happened and that there
    is
    >no theological objection to this though there is to evolution by
    natural
    >selection.

    >AA Hodge in the 1880s argued for theisitic evolution as did Warfield up
    >his death in 1921.
    >As Rich Blinne made it clear that the PCA insists on a six day creation

    >then they would regard these Princeton theologians as very dodgy -
    either
    >apostate or on theway or even wooly liberals like bishop spong. Due to
    >their compromising with the evolutionary geological timescale their
    > orthodoxy is clearly under question as any good YEC would agree with.

    >I hope my point is clear.

    >To describe this trio as " orthodox Presbyterians" implies that their
    >blatant evolutionism is orthodox as well.

    Let me be a little more precise than I have been in previous posts. A
    report that allowed presbyteries to permit exceptions to YEC passed,
    barely. This has caused some within the PCA to bemoan the declension
    within the denomination. Yet, I don't know of anyone who would call the
    Hodges or Warfield anything but orthodox. In fact, one of the
    electronic groups where a number of those who are concerned about such a
    slippery slope hang out is named after B.B. Warfield! Old Princeton is
    still well-respected even amongst the YEC in the PCA. Modern proponents
    of their views, however, do not fare as well.