Re: "charismatic" theologies and science

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 18:35:33 EDT

    Michael,

    This difference between the PCA and the OPC has been one of the
    surprises of my experience with the PCA, especially in most recent
    past in the midst of their discussions about creation/evolution issues

    Apparently, Dabney, Thornwell, Giradeau and almost all of the
    Southern Presbyterian theologians at the time of the Hodges and
    Warfield viewed the Princetonians friendliness to the new geology and
    to evolution with great suspicion. Of course, the PCA has its roots
    in this tradition. I used to attribute the PCA's anti-science
    perspective to what had observed to be a generally more
    "fundamentalist" perspective overall (and thus a sympathy with
    young-earth creationism). Having encountered the debate in person in
    the PCA, I now understand the tradition a bit more. Apparently, in
    the Southern church the issue came to a head around the case of a
    James Woodrow recounted in a book by Tait Elder called Woodrow:
    Apostle of Freedom (reviewed by Ted Davis in PSCF in 6-97). As I read
    it Woodrow held essentially the same position as Warfield and was
    removed from his seminary teaching position because of his views.

    Interestingly, during and after my trial in the OPC, with my appeals
    to Warfield and even Machen, I heard men say that these stalwarts
    would not be ordainable in the OPC today given their published views
    or, more likely, they would no longer hold the views that I was
    pointing to if they knew what we knew today. Although I typically
    count myself as a follower of C. Van Til, this is one area where his
    presuppositional thought has played into the hands of young-earth
    creationists among conservative Presbyterians. Many OPC people see
    the Princetonians openness to old earth geology and evolution to be
    an extension of their "erroneous" evidentialist apologetic and
    epistemology.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523