BIO: Callee Soltys

From: Callee Soltys (
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 13:51:03 EDT

    Name: Callee Soltys

    Age: 25

    Vocation: student

    Educational background:
    1999: completed BSc. in Environmental Biology at the University of Alberta
    present: pursuing a degree in Occupational Therapy at U of A

    Why I'm here (been lurking here off-and-on for about 2 years, and Friend of
    ASA for the same):
    For me, it all started with Denis Lamoureux's science and religion course in
    fall 1999, where I discovered that it is possible to believe in both God and
    evolution. I was an atheist, thinking that interpretations of Genesis
    really mattered, and there was no way I could ever join the YECs or
    progressive creationists. See, I had the feeling that "there had to be
    something more"....evolution just didn't explain it all for me, yet I did
    not know where to look for answers.

    Denis opened the door for me, introducing hermeneutics and oh-so-many terms
    and categories. He taught me some basics about Christianity (I was so
    ignorant), and his passion for Jesus completely rocked my world. He was an
    absolutely amazing teacher-- every night after class I'd walk home with my
    head spinning... I had so much to think about.

    I realized that I had a faith in evolution that was eerily similar to the
    faith YECs have in a literal interpretation of the bible. I also realized
    that if the whole Jesus story really is true, the implications for my life
    are huge...

    I find involvement with ASA helps my struggle with faith, because no matter
    how intellectual the conversation gets (often it's way beyond me! haha) the
    bottom line remains the same.

    Join the worldís largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.