Re: Publicity for Genesis Reconsidered

From: Jim Eisele (
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 12:48:26 EDT

    Hi Mike,

    >There is an obvious contrast between (a) Gen. 1:26ff and (b) 2:7ff. In (a),
    >God is called elohim, representing his general relationship to the
    >in (b), Yahweh elohim. Yahweh, freely translated "I am,"76 is his name used
    >in the context of his covenants with humans, implying a personal

    Thanks for bringing in the Hebrew. I have begun to keep a "collection."
    And, I completely agree that God is described differently in Gen 1 and Gen
    Not that you've been ignoring me :), but I've been saying that all along.

    >Peter has also discussed the Hebrew of Gen. 5:1,2 in previous posts. In
    >to Dick ( > ) he wrote:

    >>>and implied in Genesis 5:1-3: "This is the book of the generations of

    >>"Generations" is the Hebrew "toledoth". It is the colophon (a title
    >>appended to, rather than preceding, the text to which it refers, as in
    >>clay tablets of those times) appended to what went before, i.e. the part
    >>of the story as it was told by Adam.

    I've seen that the colophon, or "History of.../date" is Gen 5:1-2.

    You'll notice that I haven't responded to much of your post. We're still
    talking about interpretation if we're not discussing the Hebrew (such as
    for man or mankind).