Re: Dick Fischer deserves a hearing

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 16:38:12 EST

    george murphy wrote:

    > To speak here of "one's favored theological theories" suggests that Paul
    > and I are arguing for some idiosyncratic notion rather than the historic belief
    > of the Christian church that Adam is representative of all humanity. This is the
    > natural reading of St. Paul, and to challenge it raises serious questions about
    > the claims which St. Paul makes in the passages in Rom. & I Cor. The naive idea
    > that theological statements are somehow unreal and that in order to say something
    > "really real" about Adam we have to identify him as a person with a certain
    > height, weight, & social security number
    > (000-00-0001?) is the source of a great deal of concordist activity which may be
    > merely a waste of time but can cause definite harm.

    (snip)

    George, I must say again your opinion that Adam was not the literal lfather of all
    of mankind is news to me within the Christian Faith. I know of no denomination that
    teaches such a thing -- from Baptist to Roman Catholic. Can you name those which do
    so?

    Clever remarks, like "SSN 000-00-0001" sound good but add no weight to the argument.
    It seems to me, George, that your theology is not Christian mainstream either.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.