Re: Pasteur quote

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 19:57:38 EST

    Howard J. Van Till wrote:

    > Rather than tagging them with the "pie in the sky" label I
    > would be more inclined to compare them with partially
    > assembled jig-saw puzzles -- lots of areas open or with only
    > a few pieces in place, with little idea what the details
    > will be like in those regions; but the regions that are
    > assembled do provide a basis for proposing what the broad
    > features of the completed puzzle may eventually look like.
    > Some interesting surprises are likely in any case.
    >
    > Howard Van Till

    Sounds like a fair statement to me. Neither of them are now existing
    theories. There is just a belief by some that there can be such a
    theory.

    As in Weinberg's "Dreams of a Final Theory", they are the hopes of
    (some) scientists , not bona fide theories which may be subjected to any
    sort of validation.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must