Re: Pasteur quote

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 14:10:10 EST

    Walter Hicks wrote:
    Insofar as the "grand evolutionary theory" goes. I did a phrase search
    using Google and came up with only ONE hit on the web
    (http://www.cpjustice.org/stories/storyReader$552) . For "unified field
    theory" I got 12,700. Both of these theories share something in common
    in that neither of them exist yet. Both are pie in the sky notions that
    science might some day realize. (IMHO)

        Unified field theory today is often equated with "theory of
    everything" & in that sense of course it hasn't yet been achieved. But
    field theories that unify previously distinct phenomena have been
    successful & are now well established. Maxwell's theory that unified
    the electric and magnetic vector fields into a single skew-tensor field,
    as special relativity makes clear, & the Weinberg-Salam electroweak
    unification of E&M & the weak interaction is now widely accepted.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/