RE: Chronicle of Higher Education

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 12:06:19 EST

    It is clear that man can act as a physical device detecting physical objects,
    may it be bacteria, a swinging pendulum, etc. That is done for convenience and
    for the fact that physical devices are not yet available to perform such
    measurements. Science deals with the physical and so the physical must be
    detectable by the physical---hence, the definition I give for the subject
    matter of science. If you can take photographs of bacteria, then man can view
    these photographs (physical devices) and do his study just as good as man can
    view the bacteria directly. Of course, man can detect the non-physical, viz.,
    self, deity, love, etc. Physical devices detect physical behavior of making
    love but not the notion of love. If one cannot in principle define his/her
    disciple in terms of physical measurements, then that discipline is not
    science. Areas of difficulties are the study of man himself or studies where
    man is the only detector--no physical detectors detect what man detects.
    Moorad