Re: Exegesis or Eisegesis?

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 10:58:59 EST

            By an inadvertent series of mouse clicks I completely lost Dick
    Fischer's reply to my post below. Let me gather my wits & make a brief
    general reply from memory -
            I think Dick's approach is a valiant attempt at a concordist
    interpretation of early Genesis, but I also consider such
    interpretations in general to be futile & unnecessary. Adam & Eve are
    theological figures who represent the first human beings, as part of the
    fact that in a broader sense they represent all humans. That doesn't
    mean that they are simply wax images that can be made to represent
    anything at all. 'adham means "human" and Eve is given her name because
    she is "the mother of all living." This makes it clear that they are
    representatives of all humanity, not simply some subset of humans.
            There is similar inclusive language in Paul's use of the Adam
    image: "In Adam all die" (I Cor.15:22). I.e., Adam is the
    representative of mortal humanity.
            The need to find "the real Adam" which drives a lot of
    concordist effort is removed if we realize that the pattern of genuine
    humanity that we are given in scripture is not Adam & Eve but Christ.
    The Incarnation is not simply a "Plan B" to fix what Adam & Eve botched
    but is itself the purpose of creation - e.g., Eph.1:10. This doesn't
    mean that the scientific understanding of human origins is of no
    theological interest, but it needs to be viewed in the light of Christ.
            If this be "liberal snobbishness", make the most of it.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/