Re: Exegesis or Eisegesis?

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 19:02:19 EST

    Dick Fischer wrote:

    > Peter Ruest wrote:
    >

    >> > Doesn't Scripture
    >> > tell us He creates [bara'] individual human beings (Is. 43:7), who
    >> are
    >> > fathered and borne by natural procreation?
    >

    > The "bara" you refer to pertains to "Israel" (Isa. 43:1), descendant
    > from
    > Adam, who was created (bara) in "the image of God." Generic human
    > beings, outside of Israel, not descendant from Adam, are not included
    > in this verse. This has been the tendency for Christian apologists,
    > extending to all of humanity what was written for only one nation.

            I have probably said this before but in case there are any
    newcomers to the list who may think that this idea is widely accepted
    here I'll note again that
            a) there is no basis in the OT for this notion, &
            b) it makes nonsense of the Adam-Christ connections Paul uses
    in Romans & I Corinthians.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy